Key Points Page
- Earthquake Insurance: What's Your Exposure1
- Coverage for the Earthquake Exposure: Commercial Property Coverage2
- Adding Earthquake Coverage3
- Business Interruption Coverage3
- Deductible Issues4
- Earth Movement: Man-Made vs. Natural Causes5
- Court Decisions6
- More about Earthquakes11
- Insurance Considerations11
- Measuring Earthquakes12
Earthquake Insurance: What's Your Exposure?
As this issue of Adjusting Today was being prepared, the earthquake and resulting tsunami of March 2011 struck Japan. That concurrence put an exclamation point on what already was the theme of this edition: earthquake coverage is an important, but too often lacking component of an adequate business or personal insurance program.
Although excluded in standard commercial and homeowners policies, earthquake protection is available by endorsement. Insurance expert Robert Prahl details this availability in our lead article. Then, on a closely related subject, he takes an insightful look at how the courts have interpreted policy language in several earth-movement claims.
Rounding out this issue is a sidebar offering some interesting facts about earthquakes in the United States.