Disaster Preparedness & Recovery Resources:
Information to help you through the process
Insurance policies can be filled with complicated jargon and complex policy provisions that can be intimidating for those not familiar with the insurance industry. We have put together a list of resources to assist you through the insurance claims process, including pre-disaster planning tips, an insurance terms glossary, and a video explaining what a public adjuster can do for you.
An increased national awareness about disasters has many business and homeowners thinking ahead about how best to prepare for the possibility. We have created a checklist of items to assist you in your planning and (if necessary) your response. Begin planning today to avoid many of the issues that may delay or diminish your ability to fully recover from a property insurance claim.
Insurance language is complicated. To help guide you through your claim, we’ve compiled a glossary of the most common insurance terms and their definitions.
For more than 20 years, Adjusters International has been publishing Adjusting Today, a newsletter recognized within the property claim industry for its presentation of property insurance claim information from the policyholder’s perspective, rather than that of the insurers’ claim adjuster. Each edition includes specific and detailed information on an insurance-related topic, such as:
- “Expecting the Unexpected Part of the Unexpected” highlights Pre-Loss and Post-Loss Considerations that should be taken into account long before disaster strikes.
- “How to Make the Most of an Underinsured Loss” includes a ten-step plan that outlines practical advice and sources for assistance, areas within an insurance policy to check for applicable coverages, and actions to consider after an underinsured loss.
- “Ordinance or Law Coverage” explains this important coverage that is available to cover the additional costs of rebuilding a damaged structure so that it conforms to the latest building codes.
Since 2004, Adjusters International has been publishing Disaster Recovery Today, a newsletter written from the perspective of the applicant of the FEMA public assistance program. Each edition focuses on a different aspect of the FEMA public assistance process, including:
- “Lack of Teamwork Could be the Real Disaster” explains how the development of a dedicated team is the first step in the disaster planning process and the foundation of a successful recovery.
- “Floodplain Management: Sound Techniques to Improve Your Recovery” breaks down the concept of floodplain management into easily understood terms and helps clarify its interrelationship with the FEMA Public Assistance program.
It has been proven time and time again that public adjusters help maximize an insurance claim settlement.
- Public claims adjusters offer a valuable service—The Wall Street Journal Online
- When to Hire a Pro to Settle an Insurance Claim—CBS MoneyWatch
- Six Ways to Get the Most From Insurance Claims—Yahoo! Finance
- How to hire a public insurance adjuster after a disaster—Insure.com
- Reading fine print is big biz for adjusting company—Atlanta Business Chronicle
- Update from the Gulf Coast: A policyholder’s perspective—Insurance Journal
- Buying instead of rebuilding after a disaster—Insure.com
- Insurance: Hiring a public adjuster—Bankrate.com